The historical locations of Borsa Italiana
This section summarises the historical events of the stock exchanges in Italian cities other than Milan that were still active in 1992, the year in which they began to be closed down by the reform. The number of Italian exchanges remained stable at ten for the entire second half of the 20th century, but it varied considerably during earlier periods.
Throughout the 1800s, the number of exchanges continued to grow, especially in the second half of the century. During the years that followed the unification of Italy, there were as many as roughly twenty-five merchandise exchanges. Besides the nine major exchanges (not including Trieste, which was Austrian), some of them were quite large and important, like the ones in Ancona, Bari, Ferrara, Livorno and Messina.
In the first half of the 1900s, when the distinction was drawn between merchandise exchanges and stock exchanges, their number quickly dropped. The Trieste Stock Exchange, the earliest to be founded, became part of the Italian system after the annexation of 1918, while the last one to come into operation was Palermo, in 1953.
The historical offices of the Stock Exchange
The current Stock Exchange headquarter: Palazzo Mezzanotte